top of page

Frequently Asked Questions

Submit Your Questions:


Phone: (780) 783-0473


Contact Form:

Your details were sent successfully!

1.    Do I have to put in for a draw to get my license? Will you have my license when I arrive?


No, you don't have to put in for a draw. All of our licenses are guaranteed. We will have your license waiting for you upon arrival as long as you have applied for your Alberta Wildlife Identification Number (WIN Number) at, and you have filled out your contract and sent it back to us.


2.    Where are you located?


We are located in Grande Cache which is located in West Central Alberta 2 hours south of the city of Grande Prairie.


3.    Where do I fly in to? Do you pick me up at the airport? How far a drive is it to your lodge from the airport?


The easiest way to get to our area is to book your flights into Grande Prairie Alberta through Uniglobe Geo Travel 780-424-8310 or you can book it yourself on a website such as On all of our hunts we have you arrive on the day before your hunt. You will then get a shuttle or taxi to a hotel and then we will pick you up at the hotel in the morning at 11 am. The hotel cost is your responsibility (about $150 US funds). The best hotel choices which have a shuttle service from the airport are:


  • Holiday Inn 1-780-402-6886

  • Pomeroy Inn 1-780-831-2999

  • Super 8 Motel 1-780-532-8288

  • Best Western 1-780-402-2378


You can stay at any hotel you can find in Grande Prairie, just make sure to book your hotel well in advance since this is a small but booming oil city. This overnight hotel stay gives enough time if you have a delayed flight, you miss a connecting flight or your baggage gets lost. The bags can be located, flown in on a later flight and delivered to your hotel. It also gives time to sight in your gun or bow before the hunt. If your hunt is in the middle of the season then we can usually get in a short 1/2 day hunt. If the season isn't open yet then it becomes a scouting evening. It is a 2 hour drive from Grande Prairie to the Grande Cache where the hunt will be taking place.


4.    Can I drive to your area from my home in the states? What about driving from Edmonton to save money, can I do that?


Yes you can drive right to Grande Cache in a vehicle from your home. It is a 2 hour drive from Grande Prairie, a 4 hour drive from Edmonton and a 10 hour drive from the Montana border all on good paved roads. We will also email you the final directions to Grande Cache once you have booked the hunt.


5.    Is it difficult to enter Canada, do I need a passport?


It generally is not difficult to enter Canada. Yes, you will need a passport. One of the only real problems we've seen is if you've ever had any criminal charges, such as a D.U.I. You might have difficulty entering Canada and may need to clear it up months beforehand. Visit this website for more info Bring a copy of your hunt contract when you enter Canada, occasionally Canada Customs will ask to see it. It is your responsibility to make sure you will not be refused entry into Canada. Refusal of entry by Canada Customs and Immigration is not sufficient reason for a refund.


6.    Is it difficult to bring a gun to Canada?


No, it is not difficult to bring a gun to Canada. You will need a firearms declaration form to clear your rifle through customs. We will send you one as part of your deposit confirmation. There is a $30 payment at the border to process this form.

You can also complete the online form or download it here.


7.    Can I send my clothes and weapon to you before my hunt so I don't have to clear customs with it?


No, you can't really do this. The problem is that customs will treat it as if we are buying your gear from you and give us a tax and duty bill for the full value of all the goods.


8.    Can I send someone else on my hunt at the last minute if I can't go?


Yes, we usually don't buy the licenses until the day before the hunt starts so it is easy to just change who is hunting.


9.    What are the accommodations? Do I need to bring bedding, a towel? Is their laundry service, internet access?


The accommodations for late season hunts are in a comfortable hotel. All bedding, towels are provided and internet access may be available if you bring a laptop computer. We don't have any laundry services; you'll have to bring enough clothes to last the duration of your hunt. For secluded tent camp hunts, hunters are required to bring a warm sleeping bag, towel and other personal toiletries. 


10.   What do you provide? What don't you provide?


We provide all your meals, accommodations, transportation and field care of trophies once we pick you up from the hotel in Grande Prairie. We do provide some soft drinks/pop and snacks but liquor is not provided. We will stop at a store for you to purchase additional amounts of pop, snacks and any liquor on your way to the hotel.


11.   What do we do with antlers, meat, hides? How do we get it home?


The easiest, least expensive and least risky way to bring any of it home is as extra baggage on your flight home. On antlers and capes we put your clothes around the antler tips, clean, dry and tape up the skull plate and freeze the cape. We also freeze bear hides. All the items then go in a thick cardboard box or plastic bin. Cost of the extra bags will vary with each airline but they generally charge $100 per extra 50 lb. bag. Animals can also be left here with a Canadian taxidermist but it is very expensive to get mounted then sent to your home, often twice as much as what you would pay at home. If you plan on keeping the meat, then all meat processing costs are your responsibility, approx. $150 for a deer. Frozen meat can also be taken as extra baggage. Your hunting license acts as your Alberta export permit and U.S. customs will have you fill out a wildlife import form. It is very easy to do. Meat CANNOT be shipped to you later. We have tried and have not been able to locate a reliable way to do it. You also cannot UPS or FEDEX animal parts home like you can within the United States. Dry ice is also very difficult to find in Canada so if you are driving up it would be good to bring well insulated coolers or even a freezer that you can plug in at hotels on the way home. If you choose not to take the meat for yourself it will be donated to our local landowners or needy families at no cost to you.


12.   Do you have a taxidermist I can leave my animal with to get mounted?


Yes we do, but Canadian taxidermists are not cheap and neither is the shipping. Usually we recommend taking your antlers, cape, hides and meat home with you as extra baggage.


13.   What's the country like in your guiding area; is it a physically tough area to hunt?


The hunting area is located in the foothills of the Rocky Mountains. Most of the hunting area can be accessed by ATV’s and four-wheel drive trucks but hiking into stands may be required and being is better physical shape will make your hunt that much more enjoyable and give you an extra advantage on the animal you are hunting.          


14.   Do you hunt private or public land?


Our area is approximately 4500 square kilometers (1.11 million acres) of 100 percent public land, with that being said, it doesn’t mean it’s crowded with hunters. We scout and hunt off the beaten trail and rarely see other hunters while out hunting. 


15.   How do you handle a 2 on 1 guided hunt, will I simply have to wait my turn to shoot? Why don't you just get another guide?


The 2 on 1 guided hunt usually works just fine with enough opportunities for both hunters to get their animals. We can typically split up the 2 hunters. Most of the hunting will be done in tree stands, ground blinds and tower blinds. Road hunting and spot and stalk are also options while the other hunter sitting in blinds. The main reason we do most of our hunts with 2 hunters to 1 guide is because it is difficult to find great guides with the adequate skill set needed for a successful hunt. We have found that one excellent guide can do a better job than just getting a somewhat unqualified one to take one hunter. Wages, vehicles, fuel and food are all much higher than practically anywhere in the United States too, it isn't cheap to get a guide. Since all the guides work as a team as soon as one animal is down the 2 hunters will get split up and the hunts quickly become one on one guided anyway. If it is a big concern for you, you can get a separate guide for $1500 a hunt.


16.   Do I have to wear any blaze orange on the rifle hunts?


No there is no blaze orange requirement and it really isn't necessary but if you feel more comfortable with it on you are welcome to bring it.


17.   Do you have a wound policy?


Yes we do. On all hunts you are allowed a maximum of 2 wounds per species. That means that if you draw blood on 2 animals and we can't find either one of them then your hunt for that species is over. Of course we always make every effort to recover any wounded animals and we don't encourage unethical shots.


18.   Can I shoot 2 big game animals of the same species in one year in Alberta?


Generally No. We have had this question come up in regards to a hunter buying one mule deer hunt with us and buying another mule deer hunt with another outfitter expecting to kill 2 Alberta mule deer in the same year. You can't do this. You can only buy one license per species per year. In certain areas of Alberta, one black bear license allows you to harvest 2 black bears, a wolf /coyote license is unlimited kills, but you'll need good luck getting just one wolf. All other licenses are for one animal only.


19.   Do I really need a camera? Can you just email me any pictures after the hunt?


Yes, you do need to bring a camera with you and carry it with you at all times to get any pictures you might want. Sorry, but with our slow internet connection we will not be able to email you pictures after the hunt.


20.   What is a standard tip for my guide and the cook?


A standard total tip amount for a hard working guide or cook is 5 to 10% of the hunt cost. Tipping is entirely at your discretion and any amount is greatly appreciated.


21.   Do you have any additional fees?


Yes and No, depending on whether you are driving or flying, whether you are bow hunting or rifle hunting and whether you kill or not. Here is a complete list of every possible extra fee:


  • Flights or driving expenses to get to our area.

  • A $250 cash fee will be charged for an early departure drive from the lodge to Grande Prairie to pay for the fuel and mileage on the truck and lost guide time which takes about 4 hours round trip.

  • Before or after the hunt hotel fee approx. $150 a day in Grande Prairie.

  • Firearm import fee $30

  • Bow Hunting Permit $30

  • Liquor and extra snacks or soft drinks.

  • Tips or Gratuities.

  • Cost of getting antlers, cape, hides and meat home. Amount varies greatly depending on species and how much you are taking home.


bottom of page